2011-05-30

Rant and Wonder

I apologize for my tardiness, but as I was writing this post last night our power went out and with it the cable for the internet.

First the Rant

What the heck is going on with Google/Blogger? First we had the Disappearing Thursday a few weeks ago, and now we have the Great Commenting Puzzle. In some respects, this one is even worse than the disappearing act. When the Thursday posts disappeared it happened to everyone, but the posts came back after a couple of days. This Blogger Crisis, however, is a completely different kettle of fish. Here’s what I’ve learned so far:

1. It’s not happening to every Blogspot blog or Google Account
2. Some people are having trouble logging into their Google account
3. Some people are having trouble logging into their Blogger account
4. Some people can’t do either.
5. Some people a Google Account ID are unable to comment on Blogspot blogs
6. Google has been “looking into the problem” for about a week now.

I’m one of the lucky ones. I can at least post to my blogs. However, I can’t comment on other Blogspot blogs unless the comments come up in a popup window. Here’s what happens: I write my comment, select Google Account as my profile, click on post comment, and get taken to the Google login page. I fill in my name and password and click sign in and it takes me into a loop of having to write my comment again and going to the Google sign-in page.

I take comfort in the fact that I’m not alone in this. AND I finally figured out I can still comment on these blogs if I choose Name/URL instead of Google under Select Profile.
/End Rant

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

As you probably know, I’ve been really enjoying my brand new e-reader, George (he’s a Kindle, in case you were wondering). That’s not to say I’ve abandoned print books – I have way too many of them to do that, it’s just sometimes an e-reader is a lot more convenient than a print book.

So far I only have a couple of full price books on there, one that was given to me, one that I clicked on by accident, and one that was the second in a series and I just couldn’t wait until it was discounted to find out what happens next. I have to admit that the majority of books on George are either free or under $5. If they cost more than that I figure I might as well get them in print.

Which brings me to the point of this piece. If I read a hard-copy book and enjoy it so much that I want to share it with a friend, I simple get my friend to sign a document swearing to take care of it as if it were their first-born child and lend it to them. They, in turn, will read it and then return it to me in pristine condition (and in doing so will live to see another day).

However, with an e-reader you are not able to do this. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but morally and ethically we’re told it shouldn’t be shared. As an author I understand the reason for this. An e-book is all too easy to copy, thus bilking the author of their royalties.

Libraries have found a way around this. You can borrow an e-book from the library in the same way that you can borrow a print book, however at the end of your two weeks it simply disappears from your e-reader. I’ve never done this myself and I have no idea how they do this, but I’ve also heard of e-book lending clubs springing up all over the internet that work in a similar fashion.

What I’d like to know is, what do you think of the whole e-book lending issue? Have you/would you borrow an e-book? Why or why not?

6 comments:

Holly Ruggiero said...

May I continue on your rant for a moment?...and then followed the disappearing followers widget. That's a lots of problems in a short period of time. Deep down I hope it's because they're planning a new release with the features we've all asked for and getting ready has caused problems. It's my fantasy - nobody ruin it for me.

If ebooks cost 4 bucks or less I don't mind not sharing. Most books will let you download the first chapter for review anyway, but those that charge 14.95? Well, that is a whole other rant.

Jolene Perry said...

I am SO completely frustrated!!!
I'm about to add to your rant!!

I can't log into the account that lets me change my blog, only the one that lets me post. I'm being randomly dumped out of my gmail and blogger accounts.

I've had TONS of people say they can't comment on my blog, and I can comment HALF the time. SUCKS!!!!!


Oh, yeah. LOVE my ereader. Don't know what I used to do!

K.C. Woolf said...

I think Blogger was trying to test our resolve. It seems fine now, though. :-)

(I love the name of your Kindle, btw!)

I haven't borrowed e-books yet, but I might do in the future. I still prefer buying books, electronic as well as paper, because it's sometimes hard to tell when I'll be able to read them.

Jamie D. said...

This whole blogger debacle just makes me glad I moved my main blogs off blogger. What a pain in the neck!

As for lending ebooks - I'm all for it. I don't have DRM on any of mine, and I don't have an issue with people sharing or passing them along. More readers equals more potential buyers, and hey, books are meant to be shared.

You do know Kindle has a lending feature, right? I can lend you one of the books on my kindle for 14 days...all nice and legal like (for titles that don't have DRM). I believe Nook has that ability as well. Let me know if you want to test it out - I'm sure I have something you'd enjoy reading. ;-)

Catherine Lavoie said...

I've been lucky because I haven't had any issues with my blog or commenting on other blogs (*knocks on wood*) but I hope Google sorts everything out soon.
The ebook revolution hasn't reached my local library but I think it's a good idea to lend ebooks like 'real' books. But I prefer to buy my own ebooks... The idea of having a book disappear from my ereader (his name is Paddy) is kinda freaky! ;)

doreen said...

I am probably wasting my time trying to comment but I'll try...
I loved your post-