2011-06-27

Remake Madness

First I’d like to share what prompted this particular rant. I love the movie the Crow. I don’t know why – it’s a little dark, very violent, and a tad gory – but it’s also kind of romantic. This guy comes back from the dead to avenge the murder of his fiancée (and his own murder). Brandon Lee was perfect as Eric Draven, as was Mark Dacascos in the Crow series. Actually, I liked him even better. ;-)

But now I read on-line somewhere that they’re going to remake the Crow – with Bradley Cooper, from Hangover, in the starring role. Seriously???!

What is it with Hollywood and remaking movies? This is just wrong! So wrong!

I like old movies. One of my favourites was Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream house, starring Cary Grant and Myrna Loy. It was remade into a travesty called the Money Pit starring Tom Hanks and Shelly Long. *shudder*

AND they’re talking about remaking the cult classic Rocky Horror Picture Show. Have they no shame? (Whoever they are) Part of its charm is the sheer cheesiness of it. This is not something that can re-produced, nor should it be.

It wouldn’t be so bad if the remakes were better than the originals, but they’re not. They suck. Big time. Consider these: Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, the Day the Earth Stood Still, War of the Worlds, Flight of the Phoenix, Invaders From Mars, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the Parent Trap, Cheaper By the Dozen, Planet of the Apes, the Poseidon Adventure, Dr. Doolittle, Psycho, Fame, Stepford Wives, Arthur, Clash of the Titans . . . I could go on, but I think you get the idea (and you’d probably stop reading, if you haven’t already).

To date I’ve only seen three remakes that I enjoyed more than the original: Godzilla, the latest King Kong, and the Mummy.

Hear me film-makers! If you can’t come up with something original, at least don’t ruin a classic. You demean not only yourselves, but the movies themselves.

1 comment:

Trisha said...

Remaking THE CROW??? That's just blasphemy!!!