2011-06-06

What’s Up With China?

Did you hear about the 17 year old kid in Shanghai who reportedly sold one of his kidneys to buy an iPad2? Seriously! Read it for yourself HERE.

I can’t imagine being so desperate for a gadget that I’d sell one of my body parts. Oh, I’m sure, like everyone else, I’ve probably said “I’d give my right arm for ____.” but I certainly didn’t mean it. They’re just words, no one ever takes them seriously, except this kid apparently.

I know this is a different culture we’re talking about here, but it still boggles my mind that he could do this without his parents becoming involved. He’s a teenager, for crying out loud! Where were his parents while he was having surgery? Is this kid nuts or what?

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Now, what about the exploding watermelons . . . any body else hear about that?

Watermelons have become popular in China, so much so that many farmers have decided to grow them to cash in on the expanding market. The combination of new watermelon farmers, a wet growing season, and a growth accelerator called forchlorfenuron have conspired to cause the watermelons to start exploding right in the fields. Here’s a news clip about it:



You gotta admit, it is a little bizarre to plant a field of watermelons and then have them start exploding while still on the vine. I actually heard about this during my Scribes meeting, and from watermelons and growth hormones the conversation segued into people who grow those huge pumpkins for fairs. One of those pumpkins would make a heck of a lot of pies, but would you really want to eat one? Just think about all the chemicals that were probably used in the growing of that thing.

The region of China with the watermelons is already known for having problems with chemicals in their food. It follows discoveries of the heavy metal cadmium in rice, toxic melamine in milk, arsenic in soy sauce, bleach in mushrooms, and the detergent borax in pork, added to make it resemble beef.

Makes you want to run right out and buy something from the international section of your grocery store, doesn’t it?

1 comment:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Seriously? That is really messed up--and scary.