2011-08-29

People and Barbeques

This is two separate rants, actually. We’ll start with people. And by people, I mean stupid people, of which there are far too many out there. This could almost be a continuation of last week’s rant, only without the cars.

Yes, that’s right. I’m talking about pedestrians. Those fools who that shuffle across the road so that you miss the traffic light and think that just because it’s against the law to run them down they have a magic shield protecting them. The ones who strut around the parking lot like they’re God’s gift, believing that if they don’t look for oncoming traffic they won’t get hit. Or worse, the ones who stand behind your car, talking on their cell phone, as you’re trying to back out of a parking space.

Or how about the jerks who stand on the corner, even though the white guy indicating they can cross is lit up, and wait until you make a move to turn the corner before they decide to cross. I was going to the grocery store on the weekend and I came to a stop light. I waited for a pair of teenagers on with bikes who stood there snogging while they waited for the light to change. The light changed, they were allowed to cross, only they didn’t. They kept kissing. I finally decided they must be waiting for the light the other way and turned the corner. In my rear-view mirror I saw them finally cross the road – just as the light was about to change again. This is the same corner I stopped at on the way home from the grocery store. When the light changed there was a pick up truck going straight through while I was making a left turn. Clearly, he had the right of way, only he didn’t take it. I have no idea what he was doing, but just as the light was about to change he finally waved me to go ahead.

And do I even need to go into people on bicycles who don’t follow the rules of the road? Or how about roller-bladers, who do that side to side skating motion that takes up half the road? And skate-boarders, you never know which way they’re going to go. And the worst offense of all – people on bikes with dogs. If there isn’t some kind of law against this, there should be. It’s dangerous not only to the dog, but to the person on the bike as well. Not that they don’t deserve what they get for being so stupid in the first place. It’s an accident waiting to happen. I just hope I’m not around to witness it.

Got any stupid people stories? I’d love to hear them.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Can someone tell me why whenever my husband’s family has a barbeque we can’t just have it in a nice, big back yard (we’ve got one, we even have a pool) but instead we have to go all the way out to the cottage? Actually, it’s two cottages on the shore of a lake. One has all the amenities – TV, DVD player, air conditioning, microwave, full bathroom – it’s more like a small summer home. The other one is more of a traditional cottage – no plumbing but it does have electricity for the beer fridge.

It’s not that I have a problem with the cottage per se, it’s just that I don’t drink beer (which is the major pastime), you can’t swim in the lake because of the zebra mussels and bacteria, and we’re usually stuck out there for many, many, hours. And the worst part is, I’m expected to be sociable. You know, talk to people, and express interest in what they have to say. I’m not allowed to read, or write. God forbid I should bring my lap top with me (there’s no internet connection anyway).

What I am allowed to do is play horseshoes or sit in the scant shade and do needlework, usually crocheting although I have been known to do knitting, cross-stitch, or embroidery. Needlework is allowed because I can do that and be sociable at the same time. Never mind that my head is filled with all the things I could be doing if I was at home – like my posts for next week.

No comments: