2011-10-22

Fun With Grammar

Yes, that's right, I believe that grammar can be fun. THEREFORE, I thought I'd try something new with my grammar posts for a while.

When I first decided to do a weekly post on grammar, I had envisioned making them a little humorous by including videos from Grammar Rocks. Remember them? Sneaky little animated vidoes, inserted between the Saturday morning cartoons, that were so cute you didn't realize you were learning. Anyone? Conjunction Junction? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Anyway, when it came down to it I realized the vidoes were all about the parts of the sentence, which at the time I hadn't thought I'd need to go into. Since then, I've read a few self-published books on my kindle that tell me that not everyone out there is familiar with the different ways to craft a sentence. And it might help in learning to craft a better sentence if you knew what you're working with.

So, starting next week, I'm going back to the basics - the sentence. We're going to start by picking the sentence apart and learning all the parts, then we'll start putting them together to see all the different ways it can be done. I guess this makes the new series more about structure than grammar, so watch for an appropriate new name.

In the meantime, I found this hilarious video on the sounds that punctuation makes.

No comments: