2012-05-15

A Murder of Crows
by Edward Medina

I have a special treat for you today. My good friend Jamie DeBree has graciously agreed to doing a guest review for me.

Okay. I cannot tell a lie. This guest review is the result of some major arm twisting. I bought a new lap top on the weekend and Jamie was appalled to learn it was still in the box. I told her I didn't have time to unpack it because I had two blog posts to write. So she agreed to write one of my posts if I'd unpack my new lap top and post pictures on Facebook. So here we are.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Jamie for her wonderful review. And for forcing me to unpack my lap top.:-)

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~


A Murder of Crows

From the author of the five star reviewed Mathias Bootmaker and the Keepers of the Sandbox trilogy comes a dark, steampunk fantasy, adventure full of treachery, deceit and terror.

A Murder of Crows is the possibly true life story of Benjamin Nightthorn, the deadliest pirate and criminal mastermind to ever sail the high seas, and the principle villain in the upcoming series, Voyages of the X Pirates.

This first novella tells the legend of Nightthorn’s spiral into madness, the indoctrination of his cutthroat crew, the creation of the eerie ship they sail, and the night of violence and murder that bore them all. A Murder of Crows is a completely new and unique experience in the world of pirate lore. It is a tale best left to the daring wanderer, the strong of heart and those without fear. Turn off the lights, burn a single candle bright and embark, if you dare, on this voyage of frights.



When I read the second paragraph of this story, I was instantly confused. It all starts with otters (well, it starts with Belladonna, but you know what I mean. Or you will.). Yes, the cute little critter variety. Only they aren’t just any old otters, they’re talking otters. Now, you have to understand – I don’t read a lot of books with talking animals, but once I got over my little moment of cognitive dissonance, I continued on.

And I’m glad I did, of course.

It’s hard to tell you much about this story without spoiling the unique ambiance that Medina creates with his particular style of writing, so forgive me for being vague. Part fantasy, part fairytale, it’s a delightfully wicked little tale about what happens when absolute evil takes over. The literary style Medina uses is reminiscent of the old-style oral storytelling that you’ll want to slow down and savor, yet the story itself moves at an easy, steady pace. I read it over the space of a couple lunch hours and was loathe to put it down when I had to go back to work.

This is a book you’ll want to read at least twice – once for the story, and again just to enjoy the literary technique itself. One can only hope that Medina will continue the tale very soon...I know I’m looking forward to the next installment.

As a point of disclaimer, Ed is a friend of mine, and I’m already a fan of his work (his first book is also fab). So I’m afraid this review can’t help but be biased, but I hope you’ll give his story a chance, all the same.

You’ll find the book for a mere $0.99at:

Amazon

Smashwords

Connect with Edward:

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mbkeepers

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/loboed13

2 comments:

Edward Medina said...

Thank you Jamie!! ;-) I'm so thankful to have you in my corner. Crows is a tricky little tale but well worth the journey for the curious reader looking for something new. Thanks again for helping it find its audience.

June OBrien said...

I like your writing - exciting - reading about a confusing beginning in a delightfully confusing way.