2012-10-19

Passion For Poetry



Than-Bauk

Again I stumbled across a new form while researching a different form. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever run out of new forms. :-)

At first glance the Than-Bauk, which comes to us from Burma, is a simple little poem of only three lines with four syllables to each line. However, it's a little more complicated than that.

The lines of the Than-Bauk contain a climbing rhyme. This rhyme is on the fourth syllable of the first line, the third syllable of the second line, and the second syllable of the third line.

If you would like to create a Than-Bauk of more than three lines, there are two ways of doing so.

You can use a descending chain pattern:

x x x a
x x a x
x a x b
x x b x
x b x c
x x c x
x c x d
etc.

Or you can do it in verses:

x x x a
x x a x
x a x x

x x x b
x x b x
x b x x
etc.

Of the two, I prefer the verses, but I have to admit this is not one of my favourite forms. I'm not sure that my first example makes much sense, but it does follow the descending chain pattern. :-)


Spectre

I see the sky
and I sigh with
lips dry from fear
of wraiths near and
moon sphere white light
that turns night to
such sight as I
ne'er wish spy with
my eye of blue
and I knew that
with you, I die.


Writer

A thought can be
had by me that
sets free a tale

I write with skill
in ink quill pen
but spill the ink

the page, it bleeds
with brave deeds and
bold needs no more

the tale is done
the yarn spun out
well run dry now.

No comments: