2010-08-26

30 Days of Writing Questions – Day 7

7. Do you listen to music while you write? What kind? Are there any songs you like to relate/apply to your characters?

Yes. No. Yes. Um . . . Okay, sometimes I like music, sometimes I like silence. It depends on my mood and what I’m writing.

I came up with the idea for Driving Into Forever while driving along the highway listening to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and any time I’m in need of a creative boost with that story, that’s what I’ll listen to.

Generally, if I have music in the background at all it’s instrumental. Or something I’ve listened to so often it doesn’t really register any more.

As far as songs relating/applying to characters . . . not really, although different WIPs seem to have their own collections of music. DIF, as I said, was inspired by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra so I’ll listen to Beethoven’s Last Night. Changeling is set on and around an ocean, so I’ll listen to Celtic music. My other stuff is set mostly in space, so it seems only natural to listen to instrumental music from soundtracks – especially from space movies.

Sometimes, I just get the urge to listen to something unusual. :-)



If you'd like to take part, or just see the whole list of questions, go HERE

No comments: