2010-09-02

30 Days of Writing Questions – Day 14

14. How do you map out locations, if needed? Do you have any to show us?


The only time I ever mapped out a location was in my trunked fantasy novel. My main character has to take a long journey and maps really helped me figure out where she was going. Yes, I said maps, as in plural. I have pages of maps for this story.

I started out with a single map, just to get the lay of the land, so to speak. Once I realized my MC was going to have to go on a quest, I expanded the map to include her journey. Of course she met a lot of interesting characters along the way, and they all came from different places, so naturally I had to expand my maps to include the places they came from.

Before you know it, I was using a giant (24 x 36 inch) sketch pad for my maps – I filled up three pages. The size of the sketchpad made it a little unwieldy, so then I started tracing sections of the map onto 8 ½ x11 inch paper – many pieces of 8 ½ x 11 inch paper.

It’s safe to say that when I finally take this novel out of the trunk and finish it, I’ll be able to publish an accompanying atlas as well.



If you'd like to take part, or just see the whole list of questions, go HERE

No comments: