2010-09-14

30 Days of Writing Questions – Days 21, 22, and 23

Due to computer problems, I kinda fell behind on the daily question thing, so to catch up I’ll be doing two questions a day until the end. Today, however, I’m doing three questions because the answers are so short. :-)

21. Do any of your characters have children? How well do you write them?

No. None of my characters have children. I’ve written a couple of short stories that feature teen-agers, but that’s as close as I get.

It’s not that I have anything against children – I was one myself once – they just don’t normally fit into the scenarios I write about. My romances are complicated enough without throwing children into the mix.

22. Tell us about one scene between your characters that you’ve never written or told anyone about before! Serious or not.

Um, I’m not sure I understand this question. My usual method of writing is to make it up as I go along. If I haven’t written the scene, then it pretty much doesn’t exist.

23. How long does it usually take you to complete an entire story—from planning to writing to posting (if you post your work)?

I don't do a lot of planning. Usually I start with a character and a situation, sometimes if I'm lucky I'll have a title as well.

My short stories can take almost as long to write as my novels, which is why I switched in the first place. I do, however, write the odd flash piece that usually can be done in a couple of days.

I started a serial on my other blog (new chapters appear on Fridays) and so far it’s been going for 54 weeks. It seems to have been going on forever, but it’s only at 36,000 words. I’m going to be wrapping it up before NaNo, so that’s another six installments, tops. So in answer to the question, I take 60 weeks to post an entire story, no planning involved, I’ve been writing this as I go. :-)

If you'd like to take part, or just see the whole list of questions, go HERE

No comments: