2010-01-19

Scribish Scribblings

Yes, I know “scribish” isn’t a real word, but this is my blog and given the nature of this post I thought it fit nicely in the title.

Last night I attended my second meeting of the Northumberland Scribes, which is the local writing group I mentioned over on the Random Thoughts blog. There were a few familiar faces and it was nice to also see a bunch of new faces. The more the merrier!

If you happen to be in the Northumberland County area (that’s in Ontario, in case you were wondering) come join the fun. I’m putting a permanent link to the website over in the right hand side bar.

The website is a bit of an ongoing thing – it was one of the things we discussed last night. As in, how we could improve it. There’s a few short pieces posted over there and a couple of bios, hopefully more will be added in the coming days so check it out from time to time.

Our writing prompt for the night was LBD. When we first got this prompt, two weeks ago, no one could figure out what it was. Some of the suggestions were a little out there and we had fun discussing the possibilities.

Once I got home from the meeting, a Google search came up with several ideas: Little Bitch Disorder; Library Book Discussion; Lewy Body Dementia; Lesbian Bed Death . . . In the end I went with the most common definition of LBD – Little Black Dress.

The idea was to keep it around 150 words. Here’s what I came up with:

* * * * * * * * * *

Little Black Dress

I knew, the minute I saw this little black dress in the store window, that I had to have it. It’s perfect - not too flashy, not too understated.

Of course I also knew what you’d have to say about it, which is why I hid it in the back of my closet. Looking back, I suppose I should have known you went through my closet on a regular basis; after all you made sure you checked out everything else, didn’t you?

I have to tell you, I didn’t appreciate the way you threw around accusations and innuendo. I did not pay for it by whoring around and I did not buy it to go catting around town in. I bought it for this very special occasion.

So goodbye, dearly departed husband. The marriage counselor always told you that one day you’d push me too far. Turns out he was right.

* * * * * * * * * *

Now, here’s my challenge to you. I want you to come up with your own 150 story about LBD and post it in the comments. C’mon, you know you want to! I won’t even make you stick with the Little Black Dress. Your LBD can be whatever you want it to be.

1 comment:

Jamie D. said...

Somehow I missed this - what fun, and what a great little scene you wrote! :-)

I'll catch you on the next one... :-)